Small Powerboat & RIB Master Training - MCA Recognised
A 3-day Theory and Practical course designed to cover the requirements to meet the Small Commercial Vessel Code and the requirements for issue of an ICC based on Resolution 40 from the Economic Commission for Europe Inland Transport Committee Working Party on Inland Water Transport.
This is a 2-day in person practical course for candidates that have completed the online Small Powerboat & RIB Master eLearning course.
- Covers vessels up to 15m
- Operation in coastal regions – in sight of land
- Driven by outboard or inboard motors
- In fair weather
- No horsepower limitations
This three day course covers one day of theory and two days of practical boat handling including:
- Safety at sea
- VHF Radio operations
- Small powerboats and rigid inflatable boats
- Launching and recovery
- Anchors and anchoring
- Nautical terminology
- Boat handling under power
- Man overboard procedures
- Ropes and rope-work
- Basic rules of the road (collision regulations)
- Glossary of terms
How do I get my Small Powerboat & Rib Master certificate commercially endorsed?
The IYT “Master of Yachts” and the IYT “Small Powerboat & RIB Master” certificates do not require a “commercial endorsement” because they are commercial certificates.
The MCA has recognised three levels of IYT Master of Yachts Certificates and the Small Powerboat and RIB Master Certificate as being “Commercial” in their own right. They are:
- Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gross tons and Master for vessels < 24 m
- Master of Yachts Limited <200 gross tons
- Master of Yachts Unlimited <200 gross tons
- Small Powerboat and RIB Master
The “Yachtmaster” certificates issued by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) are recreational certificates and these certificates do require a “commercial endorsement” if one wishes to work commercially. Should you wish to confirm this information please contact the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) Seafarers Standard Branch +44 (0)23 8032 9100 -Deck Department.