International Yacht Training Worldwide

Small Powerboat and Rib Master (MCA Recognised)


Small Powerboat & RIB Master Training - MCA Recognised

A 3-day Theory and Practical course designed to cover the requirements to meet the *MCA’s Small Commercial Vessel Code and the requirements for issue of an ICC based on Resolution 40 from the Economic Commission for Europe Inland Transport Committee Working Party on Inland Water Transport. 

* See the MCA’s MGN 280 regarding Small Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure, Workboats and Pilot Boats.

If a candidate completes the online Small Powerboat & RIB Master eLearning course, this is a 2-day in person practical course.


  • Covers vessels up to 15m
  • Operation in coastal regions – in sight of land
  • Driven by outboard or inboard motors
  • In fair weather
  • No horsepower limitations

Course Outline

This three day course covers one day of theory and two days of practical boat handling including:

  • Safety at sea
  • VHF Radio operations
  • Small powerboats and rigid inflatable boats
  • Launching and recovery
  • Anchors and anchoring
  • Nautical terminology
  • Boat handling under power
  • Man overboard procedures
  • Ropes and rope-work
  • Basic rules of the road (collision regulations)
  • Glossary of terms

How do I get my Small Powerboat & Rib Master certificate commercially endorsed?

The IYT “Master of Yachts” and the IYT “Small Powerboat & RIB Master” certificates do not require a “commercial endorsement” because they are commercial certificates.

The MCA has recognised three levels of IYT Master of Yachts Certificates and the Small Powerboat and RIB Master Certificate as being “Commercial” in their own right. They are:

  • Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gross tons and Master for vessels < 24 m
  • Master of Yachts Limited <200 gross tons
  • Master of Yachts Unlimited <200 gross tons
  • Small Powerboat and RIB Master

The “Yachtmaster” certificates issued by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) are recreational certificates and these certificates do require a “commercial endorsement” if one wishes to work commercially. Should you wish to confirm this information please contact the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) Seafarers Standard Branch +44 (0)23 8032 9100 -Deck Department.

Next Steps

As a professional in the yachting industry you are required to update and learn new skills on a regular basis. As you move up the chain of command or look for new opportunities your qualifications are essential. Please make sure they do not expire.

IYT plays a leading role in your professional training with 250 + schools in 56 countries around the world. We facilitate theoretical and practical training through our network of partner schools globally.

We are dedicating our efforts to better serve students and schools as we continue to improve our database and system and are working diligently to create new e-learning courses.

IYT is proud to be an ISO 9001:2015 Standard approved company.

View our course progression for an understanding of what is possible when you train professionally with IYT.

SuperyachtStudent Information

Become An Instructor

Professional Instructors, superyacht crew, diveboat crew, commercial maritime services all start with the fundamentals and progress from there.

Professional Courses

Professional IYT courses allow you to pursue your dreams and work in amazing places. There is a real demand for career minded professionals.

Superyacht Schools

IYT Worldwide offers more professional courses at more schools in more countries than any other organization.

Certificate Replacement

IYT World follows strict ISO standards that ensures our Government approvals. Renewal programs for member certificates follow a 3 to 5 year schedule.

Skip to content