Becoming an IYT Instructor
- The preferred route to becoming an IYT instructor is for applicants to take the IYT instructor training course in addition to having necessary qualifications and experience.
- Instructor training is available through select IYT schools. Instructor Training Courses will be listed on the “Courses” tab on their school profile page.
- If you intend to book an instructor training course please contact the school to ensure you are indeed eligible.
- Please do not submit an online instructor application until you have completed the instructor training course.
- Candidates who hold instructor qualifications from other maritime organizations are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Necessary prerequisite qualifications and experience to instruct varies depending on the level and complexity of the course applied for.
- Generally a current medical fitness certificate is (less than two-years-old) is required.
- All instructors must be associated with an IYT school to teach IYT courses.
- Freelance instructors cannot teach without being attached to and registered with a school or schools.
- Instructors can apply to be approved to teach a range of recreational or professional courses or a combination of both if qualified to do so.
- Instructors must remain in good standing.
- Instructor certificates must be renewed every 5 years.
- Instructor membership must be renewed annually. This generates the membership letter listing courses approved to teach.
Potential instructors must complete the application online and upload the requested documents.
The registration and application process will involve uploading the following, so please have these on hand before beginning the process. If documents are not uploaded we will be unable to process the application. If you have difficulty uploading documents please contact us at [email protected].
- Current photograph (passport style face shot in either jpg or png format).
- Copy of government Issued ID (passport or driver’s license).
- Copy of any relevant currently held instructor qualification.
- Copy of any relevant nautical qualification(s).
- Copy of proof of sea time.
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) or resume of maritime experience (if applicable).
- Copy of current medical fitness certificate.
PLEASE NOTE: We take the submission of fraudulent documents very seriously. If fraudulent documents are presented when applying to become an IYT Instructor, IYT will deny the application and will never accept a second application to become an instructor. Additionally, IYT will also cancel all qualifications held.
If you already have an IYT account ID, please login and complete the instructor application.