Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 Tons (Power or sail)
What does the Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 Ton course consist of? A comprehensive live aboard course consisting of six days for sail or five days for power, which includes the practical on the water examination. The course covers subjects such as navigational charts and publications, dead reckoning and estimated position, position fixing, tides, tidal levels and data, pilotage, safety at sea, meteorology and much more.
Because the Master of Yachts Coastal course is conducted on board a yacht it also covers such practical seamanship skills as ropework, anchorwork, boat handling, docking, yacht presentation, navigation, passage planning and much more.
Note: To obtain a power certificate/endorsement, training and examination may not take place on a sailboat under auxiliary engine.
If you hold the master of yachts coastal/mate certificate you are qualified for work as:
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessel up to 60 nautical miles offshore
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessel up to 150 nautical miles offshore
The Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 TON qualification covers the following based on the M.C.A Deck Manning Table for Commercially Operated Yachts up to 200 gross tons.
What are the minimum entry requirements to apply for the IYT master of yachts coastal/mate 200 tons course?
- One must hold or obtain a Marine Communications VHF-SRC Radio Operators certificate.
- One must hold or obtain all STCW’95 certificates. If STCW Safety Training is taken after January 1, 2014 the new Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness is also required.
- Candidates must provide documented proof of 30 days and 800 miles at sea including two days as watch leader/skipper and 12 hours underway on watch at night. This prerequisite experience must have been obtained within the last five years. Candidates may sit the course prior to obtaining the minimum sea time. However, they will not be issued their Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 Tons certificate until all the requirements have been met. Verification of yachting experience must be signed by the skipper of the yacht on which the candidate was sailing. Candidates claiming sea time during times when they were acting as captain may sign their own entries, but will need independent proof that can be verified by IYT.
- * A current medical fitness examination and a colour blind eyesight examination. Medical/eyesight examinations are valid for a period of two years.
What is required for the IYT master of yachts coastal/mate 200 ton exam?
The course must be completed before challenging the exam. Minimum sea time requirements must also have been met before examination.
What does the exam consist of?
The exam will be conducted by an independent IYT Master of Yachts examiner and takes the form of an oral and practical test on board a yacht. Candidates must demonstrate that they have sufficient ability to handle, dock, and anchor the boat with a required level of confidence. Candidates can expect to be examined on any subject contained within the syllabus and to be questioned on any of their yachting experience to date.
In the event that the examiner considers an examinee not to have achieved the required standards, an IYT Master of Yachts certificate will not be issued. In this case, a confidential report will be sent to the candidate outlining the reason or reasons for failure and suggesting remedial action that could lead to the successful completion of the course. Completion of the IYT Master of Yachts Coastal course is not a guarantee of passing the examination and receiving the certificate.
How do I apply for enrollment?
Candidates may apply to any of the participating IYT Partner Schools worldwide who offer this course.
In order to apply for the IYT Master of Yachts certification courses, a detailed yachting resume must be sent to your IYT training school for evaluation.
Acceptance into the course does not automatically guarantee obtaining an IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/ Mate 200 Tons Certificate. All the prerequisites must be fulfilled and satisfactory standards achieved in all of the courses.
How much time do I have to submit all required paperwork after completing the course?
Click here for information on time submission requirements for MOY Mate/Coastal, Limited and Unlimited.