Master of Yachts Unlimited Training
What is the IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited Certificate? The IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited certificate is a qualification that indicates that the holder has sufficient knowledge of celestial navigation to navigate globally using a sextant and to plan, undertake and manage an ocean passage together with a comprehensive understanding of the factors involved with regards to routing and meteorology.
If you hold the master of yachts unlimited certificate you are qualified for work as:
- Master of 200 ton vessel all oceans
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessel up to 150 nautical miles offshore
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessel all oceans
- OOW (Officer of the Watch of a 500 ton vessel all oceans).
What are the entry level requirements?
- IYT Worldwide MOY Unlimited Programme is restricted to current holders of a valid IYT Worldwide MOY Limited Certificate.
- Note that we will also accept an MCA stamped Notice of Eligibility (NOE)
- A current physical/medical, which must include eyesight and colour blindness check.
- Prior to taking the course the candidate MUST have undertaken either two trips of 250 miles, or one trip of 500 miles out of sight of land. To cover those areas where this may be difficult, i.e. the Mediterranean or Caribbean; this out of sight of land requirement can be satisfied 20 miles or more from a shore line. It is expected that a passage plan be made for that voyage, which would subsequently be used in the course for review and debriefing purposes leading to improvements by the final theory exam.
- It is strongly preferred that the passage(s) be carried out prior to the course being taken (but that it may be done after the course with extenuating circumstances).
What does the Master of Yachts Unlimited theory course consist of?
The course consists of 6 days of astronavigation and worldwide meteorology. A thorough knowledge of all subjects covered in the IYT Master of Yachts Limited course is assumed. There will be a final written examination on the last day of the course.
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun sights
- Planet sights
- Starsight planning
- The pole star
- Moon sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite navigation systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
The IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited certificate is a qualification that indicates that the holder has sufficient knowledge of celestial navigation to navigate globally using a sextant and to plan, undertake and manage an ocean passage together with a comprehensive understanding of the factors involved with regards to routing and meteorology.
Candidates who have demonstrated the required level of understanding and expertise in the course syllabus will be awarded the IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited Certificate
How do I apply for enrollment?
Candidates may apply to any of the participating IYT Partner Schools worldwide who offer this course.
What happens if I am color blind, hearing impaired or have other medical issue?
The MCA are no longer allowing Deckhands, Officers of the Watch, Mates or Masters who have color blindness to hold MCA certification. In the past, those who were diagnosed with color blindness were issued certificates with the endorsement” no solo watch” or “dual watch only”.
Because the IYT/MCA Master of Yachts certificates are commercial in nature, IYT will be complying with the same MCA requirements and will be unable to issue any commercial certificates to those who have color blindness. It is imperative that students undertake a color blindness test BEFORE they enroll in any IYT/MCA commercial course as we will not be able to certify them.
Also, it is important to note that a ‘lantern test’ for color blindness is no longer accepted. The test must be an Ishihara or CAD test.
Those who already hold IYT/MCA commercial certificates with a color blindness endorsement “no solo watch” will be able to renew with the same endorsement”.
Please note that the MCA will not issue an STCW qualification to candidates who do not pass the “ENG1 Medical Fitness Examination”. While IYT may issue a Master of Yachts Limited 200 Ton with a limitation due to colorblind or other medical issues, the MCA will not allow you to progress to the OOW or 500 and > Master Certification
How much time do I have to submit all required paperwork after completing the course?
Click here for information on time submission requirements for MOY Mate/Coastal, Limited and Unlimited.