Introductory Sailing Skills
This is a 2 day course aimed to provide candidates with introductory knowledge for crewing a sailing vessel (monohull or catamaran) up to 15 meters in inland or coastal waters <5 miles offshore during daylight hours in moderate wind and sea conditions.
This course is great for groups of friends or like-minded people to get together for a few days of fun sailing while learning skills to better help as crew onboard. Hopefully, candidates will enjoy the experience and progress to higher level sailing courses.
Recommended Entry Level Requirements
At least 10 years of age.
- Crewing a vessel (monohull or catamaran) up to 15 meters
- Inland or coastal waters <5 miles offshore
- Daylight hours
- Moderate wind and sea conditions
Scope of Course
2 days, on board, covering theory and practical subjects
- Personal and Boat Safety Equipment
- Sailing Terms, Equipment & Handling Skills
- Basic Ropework
- Man-Overboard Procedures
- Anchors, Anchoring & Running Aground
- Collision Regulations & Navigation Lights
“IYT Introductory Sailing Skills Course Completion Certificate” to be completed and issued by the school after successful completion of the 2-day course
Schools may place orders for a downloadable PDF certificate issued by IYT so it appears in their IYT Account. In order to do this the candidate must create an IYT Account ID.