International Bareboat Skipper Sail - Catamaran
This is a 5 to 6 day course. This course is not for beginners. This is a certificate of competency for those candidates who wish to train to command a catamaran sailboat up to 24 metres in length, in fair weather and in sight of land.
- Candidates should be 16 years of age or over.
- To have logged with proof of a total of 200 nautical miles and 10 days at sea by the end of course.
- Must have taken IYT’s International Crew physical course with an IYT Partner School (candidates must either hold an IYT International Crew Certificate proving they have taken and passed the course, OR, a gold seal affixed to the IYT Boating & Sailing Passport signed by the school’s principal). Or they must hold an equivalent qualification from another training organisation
- Hold an IYT VHF Radio Operators Certificate or equivalent from another training organisation.
* Please note that we do not accept ISSA VHF qualifications.
(If you are unsure if your radio license will be accepted, please send a scanned copy of the front and back of your license to [email protected]. We will verify that your license is sufficient to receive the IYT International Bareboat Skipper Catamaran license).
Note: For IYT recreational certification, a “day at sea” is defined as 8 hours at sea, but not at anchor for prolonged periods of time.
This certificate is the level of competence that one needs when chartering a boat in the Mediterranean or West Indies where there are restrictions in terms of cruising area and distance from the base.
IYT’s International Bareboat Skipper Sail – Catamaran Certificate covers command of a sailing vessel with a sail area of greater than 80 square metres/861 square feet. Please see the official statement here.
If a candidate already holds an IYT Flotilla or Bareboat Skipper Sail certificate, the modules for catamaran training should be a 1.5 to 2 day course. A review of the Flotilla or Bareboat Skipper course should be considered at the beginning of the course.
Those who have obtained the International Bareboat Skipper Sail – Catamaran qualification, can automatically obtain the “International Certificate of Competency” (ICC), provided the student meets the requirements as laid down by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (Resolution 40). Please click this link for more information. Please note that the ICC Certificate will not state “catamaran”.
- Command of a vessel up to a maximum length of 78 ft /24 metres.
- In coastal waters up to 20 miles offshore
- In fair conditions with moderate wind and sea conditions
- Most charter agencies will insist on daylight hours as a condition to charter.