Prerequisites: Medically fit to undertake the duties of a Dive Boat Operator. Hold the IYT Dive Boat Crew/Mate qualification or equivalent.
Recommended limitations: Master of Dive Boat vessels <15m.
IYT Certification on completion: IYT Dive Boat Operator <15m.
IYT Small Powerboat & RIB Master.
IYT VHF Radio operators certificate (if applicable).
Dive Boat Operator Course Syllabus:
- VHF Radio Operators certificate (if not previously held)
- Responsibilities of the Dive Boat Operator
- Boat handling under power
- Basic meteorology
- Short passages-“line of sight” navigation
- Basic compass and magnetism
- Basic charts and chart work
- Introduction to tides and currents
- Buoyage and basic collision regulations
- Navigation-lights and shapes
- Dive crew safety and competency
- Emergency planning and rescue
- Control measures
- Supervision of divers and snorkelers
- Basic Electronic and night navigation
- Engine trouble shooting and basic maintenance