IYT Dive Boat Crew
Please note that we are re-writing courses for the diveboat programme. This is a new IYT course which we hope to release in Summer or Fall of 2018 . It is not available at this time. Below is the planned prerequisites, limitations and syllabus.
Prerequisites: Medically fit to undertake the duties of a Dive Boat Crew.
Recommended limitations: Dive Boat vessels up to 15m.
Upon completion of course schools should request the following certificates:
- IYT Diveboat Crew
- IYT Marine Communications VHF/SRC (provided candidate does not already hold a recognised VHF certificate)
- Marine Communications VHF/SRC – how to safely operate a VHF/SRC Radio
- Nautical terminology – types of dive vessels
- Personal safety equipment – use and stowage
- Boat safety equipment – stowage and vessel checkout
- Basic rope work – use of fenders
- Refuelling – precautions and safety measures-care of the environment-fuel spillages
- Responsibilities of the crew – garbage/stowage and disposal-care of the environment
- Vessel stability – max. no. of passengers-safety and comfort-safety briefings
- Dealing with sea sickness
- Man overboard procedures, getting over- weight people back on board
- Divers and snorkelers-safety and competency
- Dive tank stowage
- Use of compressors
- Dive boat briefings – divers safety & competency
- Treating shallow water narcosis and hypothermia
- Use of oxygen equipment
- Alcohol and diving, why they don’t mix!