Dinghy Sailing Programme
IYT Worldwide is pleased to introduce the first in a series of dinghy sail training courses for young sailors. The programme will consist of four levels:
- Bronze Level – Start Sailing
- Silver Level – Safe Sailing
- Gold Level – Independent Sailing
- Platinum Level – Perfected Sailing
The first course to be released is “Bronze Level – Start Sailing”. In addition to these four levels we will continue to expand the programme offering specialty sailing courses for high speed sailing and racing.
Bronze Level – Start Sailing
This initial level is a five-day course/camp for children/juniors generally from ages seven to 12 who have never sailed before, which includes an introduction to the sailing skills and knowledge needed to get safely afloat under supervision. After completing this course the successful participant will be able to sail a boat competently in all possible directions in light winds. It introduces safe launching and recovery methods.
Certification may be offered to successful candidates in two forms:
- Paper certificates purchased by the school to be issued to candidates upon completion. In this instance we will not require student data to be returned to us and their data will not be maintained on our database and website.
- Credit card style certificates purchased online by the school. This will require the student set up their profile including photograph. The candidate will receive this certificate after we have processed. They will also be able to access their certification records on our website. Temporary certificates may be handed to the students at the end of the course while they await final certification.
Silver Level – Safe Sailing
This is a two- to three-day course expanding on the training developed in the Bronze Level and includes the knowledge required to sail a boat independently. The course covers rigging, launching and the skills needed to allow the successful candidate to be able to sail confidently in all directions. After completing this course the successful participant will have capsize recovery and essential safety knowledge and be capable of sailing without an instructor on board in light winds.
Gold Level – Independent Sailing
A three- to four-day course, which covers the more advanced skills and knowledge necessary to allow the successful participant to be capable of manoeuvring a dinghy in a seaman-like manner, to solve problems and handle a wide range of situations afloat in moderate conditions and to use a spinnaker. The emphasis is on increasing the self-reliance and decision making needed to sail independently, how to rig the boat, gybe and recover one type of spinnaker and to sail the best possible course downwind both as crew and helmsman.
Platinum Level – Perfected Sailing
This is a five- to six-day course focusing on navigation, club racing, and high-speed sailing. This level covers planning a day cruise, an introduction to the skills required to begin club racing, handling performance dinghies and maximum efficiency techniques for high-speed sailing.