Broadreach is Seeking Skippers to Lead their Teen Sailing Programs this Summer in Caribbean!
Over the past twenty five years, Broadreach has taken more than 17,000 students on experiential education programs to over 40 countries. With programs for middle school, high school and college aged students, Broadreach courses span the globe exploring extraordinary destinations and fascinating topics through hands-on instruction with the ocean as the classroom.
Critical to their success is their team of knowledgeable program leaders who inspire students, foster personal growth and cultivate future leaders. Broadreach instructors serve as mentors and friends to students with an eye always towards safety and risk management. Their instructors are engaging, energetic, fun experts in their field who enjoy working alongside teens. Leading a Broadreach program is a rewarding, exciting, and demanding position.
Sailing Instructors/Skippers lead summer live-aboard sailing, diving and marine science programs in the Caribbean aboard 40-55 ft. catamarans and monohulls. Broadreach is an IYT (International Yacht Training) partner school and offers courses from “Introduction to Yachting” to “Bareboat Skipper”.
Programs range from 12 to 37 days and can be mentally and physically taxing for students and instructors which makes maintaining a positive attitude key. Programs are limited to 12 students led by a team of two to three instructors. Skippers work alongside a dive instructor, marine biologist or a first mate to successfully lead a program from sailing to leading onshore activities and more.
In addition to sailing instruction and managing the yacht, skippers work with their co-leader to supervise students 24/7, facilitate group dynamics, assist students with cooking and cleaning duties, support scuba training and other program activities. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun, positive and cohesive community are all important.
Contract length varies from two to three months starting in late May through early to late August.
• Licensed US Coast Guard Captain, Yachtmaster or equivalent experience.
• Comfort operating a yacht over 45 feet from standard operations to sail training.
• Small boat handling skills. You will be expected to regularly operate RIBs and small boats with 6hp to 50hp outboards.
• Able to confidently anchor in tight anchorages and maneuver in tight harbors under power.
• Understanding of basic yacht and diesel engine maintenance.
• Experience conducting multi-day sailing trips/deliveries/charters.
• Previous experience working with teens/young adults preferred. Experience teaching sailing ideal.
• Passion for mentoring and motivating students.
• Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
• A positive and team-oriented attitude.
• Able to attend staff training in St. Martin or North Carolina in early June.
Catch a glimpse of a day in the life on a Caribbean program in their Caribbean Underwater Discoveries program video here
To apply: please submit your resume and availability to www.broadreachstaff.com